Program Mission: HOLA’s Arts and Culture Program encourages youth to channel their energy and emotion into creative endeavors in the visual and performing arts, developing their powers of self-expression, instilling self-confidence, and fueling their interest in learning.
HOLA provides quality programming to inner-city youth who have little or no access to such classes inside or outside of school. Each year, HOLA students have the opportunity to participate in more than 100 different classes, including ceramics, photography, painting, fashion design and sewing, hip hop and salsa dancing, theater production, choir, private music lessons and a full youth orchestra. HOLA’s facilities include three art studios, a fine arts library, music rooms, and a dance studio.
- Foster a sense of community where everyone supports each other
- Hold high expectations for artistic and academic excellence for each child
- Develop the whole child, not only as an artist, but as a citizen and scholar
- Provide a flexible, fun and safe learning environment
- Recognize the different and unique strengths of each child
- Belief that education fosters empowerment, liberation and pride
- Belief in the power of art as an agent of social change